Saturday, November 27, 2010

Being the Rookie Manager

Being the new guy on any team is always hard.  Whether the group gets along well or not, it’s human nature to rally along with what you already know against something foreign.  So when you’re new to the team, and new to the game, you can expect to have to prove yourself with every move.

Whatcha Talkin’ Bout Willis?
                It was cute on TV.  But when you hear that phrase directed at you every time you speak, it gets old.  FAST.  I’m young, and as far as my fellow managers are concerned, fairly inexperienced.  I’ve worked in restaurants, but nothing in comparison to the one I work at now.  They know this, and use it to their advantage whenever possible.  Not that their deliberately trying to put me down, but when my ideas clash with someone else’s, you can guess who wins.  Regardless of who winds up being “right”, their justification for not listening to me is always the same-I haven’t been doing this as long as them.

Bringing Your Game
                The only solution, of course, is to prove yourself.  Sometimes you’ll be right, and sometimes you’ll be more wrong than you even thought was possible, but as long as you can back up what you do with reasonable arguments, you’ll be fine.  I’ve made my share of bad decisions-I’ve also made my fair share of decisions that went against what other managers would have done, and I turned out to be right.  But with each passing day, I’ve gained a little more respect and trust.  Running a restaurant is no joke-so it’s understandable that managers responsible for it would be nervous about leaving their establishment to a know-nothing rookie.  Let them know you’re no joke, and eventually, they’ll stop looking at you like you have three heads when you suggest something.

No comments:

Post a Comment